Sunday 16 August 2009

MX5

Our second car is a MX5, bought second hand a couple of years ago for £8000 with only 13,000 miles on the clock. Its a MK2.1 so not the original and certainly not the new Mk3 but a damn fine car and it brings a smile to my face evrytime I drive. It now has 34,000 on the clock but it is faultless.

Jeremy Clarkson in the Sunday Times reviewed the new one today, the DNA is still there, and this is his concluding paragraphs

I said recently that the BMW Z4 is the best of the open sports cars, but after a couple of days with the Mazda I realise I was talking nonsense. The BMW is excellent but the MX-5 demonstrates that its extra speed, extra grip and extra size is all a bit wasteful. In the little Japanese car you get exactly what you need, and exactly the space you need, and nothing more.

I realise that the hairy-chested among you will be scoffing and tutting and heading straight for this column on the internet so you can speak your mind. You will say “girl’s car” and “gay” and all sorts of other things.

Well, that’s fine. You waste your money on a Mustang or a Ferrari. The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14

NP 'Slowness' by Calexico from Carried to Dust

and 'Uncertain Smile' by The The from Soul Mining

No comments:

Post a Comment