Sunday 2 May 2010

Pan's Labyrinth


Stunning, stunning film written, directed and co-produced by Guillermo del Toro. Yet again, Lovefilm sent out another film on my replay list which we went to see after hearing Dr Kermode so thoroughly recommend it on the radio back in 2006. If I had not had heard that broadcast I doubt that I would have seen it on the big screen, although I do believe Ross rated it highly and a combination of hearing both spurred me on to see it.
When we saw it at the cinema, our local Vue in fact (would imagine they just thought it was a pure fairy story) I can honestly say that I left with my jaw well and truly dropped. We knew little about the film, which is always useful, nothing of the del Toro, we do now, and it proved to be a real visceral experience.
The good Dr Kermode had this to say about it "an epic, poetic vision in which the grim realities of war are matched and mirrored by a descent into an underworld populated by fearsomely beautiful monsters". Whilst Jim Emerson called the film "a fairy tale of such potency and awesome beauty that it reconnects the adult imagination to the primal thrill and horror of the stories that held us spellbound as children"
See it
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment