Monday 28 November 2011

Gesso in Jericho

Discovered a very small private gallery in Jericho, a small enclave just north of Oxford city's centre a couple of weeks ago and the highlight of their new exhibition is this work above by Oxfordshire artist Pamela Franklin. If I had the cash to spare I would have bought it, but what it did do was to fire up my rather asleep need to paint. Franklin's work is built up on worked layers of gesso (boiled rabbit skin and chalk in her case) with colour and in this case (middle bottom) silver leaf, worked into the surface. The surface is also etched revealing the white gesso below.
So now armed with a largish sheet of MDF and a tub of gesso, I have started my first painting in 40 years, the result, hopefully will be revealed here in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment