Saturday 28 April 2012

Camille O'Sullivan @ North Wall, Oxford.









How can I say anything about this gig as I became personally involved when Camille came and sat on my lap during her performance, could not be helped, I was front row dead centre, and my legs were perched on the small steps that led up to the front of the stage, therefore my views can only be compromised.
But what the fuck....an absolutely excellent gig with Camille on top form, mixing her genres with a degree of theatricality rarely seen on the performance stage. She puts 99.9% of groups/singers to shame, and unlike the likes of (spit spit) Madonna etal, that performance is all of her own making.
A great repertoire of songs, In These Shoes played out right in front of  me, ably supported by a number of props and finishing (before the inevitable encore) with a great rendition of Nick Cave's Ship Song. I know I called for it but it was probably the closing number.
The only trouble being in the front row is that it is difficult to photograph. In the end I resorted not to use the viewfinder on my Nikon DSLR but rely on pure guess work by having the camera in my lap and just pointing it in the right direction and letting the auto focus do its job after setting the speed to 1/100. Out of the 50 shots taken, here are the best.
A mention is necessary for the band, the ever present Fergal Murray on Keyboards and MD, Paul Byrne on Pecussion and the excellent Ant Law on guitar.
Another mention is also necessary for the venue, The North Wall. Designed by Architect's Haworth Tompkins for St Edwards School, occupies the site of a once Grade 2 listed Victorian swimming pool and as the name suggests, it is pressed up against the stone north wall that forms the boundary with South Parade. A quality small building that won both the RIBA's national award in 2008 but also a Civic Trust award.
Why Camille O'Sullivan is not better known I cannot say, for she is one performer you should not miss!
10/10 Meow indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment