Sunday 16 January 2011

Kevin Montgomery and the Endangered Livers

Friday night, Tingewick, and first gig for 2011. Disappointed to see on arrival all the seats had been spread out and were at least occupied by the crowd seeing the support. Bad omen, as it will depress atmosphere. Had a quick one in the pub opposite, and notice Kevin Montgomery and band come in and take drinks back to their Winnebago parked outside the hall. Get in and position myself very close right of stage but standing up leaning against the wall.
KM opens up with him and his regular guitarist and another guy on electric piano. 3 songs during which I feel my phone going off in my pocket. Third song ends, and Weather Report's Palladium erupts from my trouser pocket, KM fortunatly makes a symphatic joke about it, I go to switch off, notice alot of repeat messages, read one,  and discover bad news which I am powerless to do really anthing about. Go outside and find higher ground as signal very poor and get the real news. Not good.
Go back inside and sit on large storage radiator at rear of hall only half listening to show so was not receptive to what was going on.
However, show was distinctly average, I suppose I imagined something a bit more, but not be. Nothing new, nothing fresh, nothing that stood out. Best song was Jackson Browne's 'These Days' where his guitarist did sound like David Lindley and there was another self composition but cant recall what is was called.
Good bloke though, and by the end at least two more orders of pints had been delivered from the pub, endangered livers indeed. I know find that although from Nashville, he lives in Glasgow, has been a backing singer for Presley and Dylan, and his father Bob, was best mates and song writing partner to Buddy Holly, so some pedigree there.

Somehow I think he needs a new and better producer.

No comments:

Post a Comment