Thursday 1 December 2011

Great Tracks No1: Felton Lonnin by Rachael Unthank and The Winterset

Felton Lonnin is the opening track of Bairns and a remarkable starter it is too, both contemporary and timeless, it is a traditional Northumberland song arranged by Johnny Handle but given the sister's unmistakable slant. the centre section containing an atmospheric interlude entirely of strings and as described on the attributes, feet. The foot tapping provides the rhythm whilst the string section has a minimalistic but Chinese sweep to it, I have not heard the likes of it before.
Opening verse goes.................

 The kye's come hyem, but Aa see not me hinny;
 the kye's come hyem, but Aa see not me bairn;
 Aa'd rather loss aall the kye than loss me bairn.
 Fair faced is me hinny, his blue eyes are bonny,
 his hair in curled ringlets hung sweet to the sight;
 O mount the old pony, seek after me hinny,
 and bring to his mammy her only delight.
 
Wonderful 

No comments:

Post a Comment