Saturday 26 September 2009

Both Ears and the Tail


A recording by Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick released in 2008 that was taken from tapes discovered by their sound engineer who had plugged a tape direct into the PA's feed in the Folkus Folk Club in Nottingham in 1966. The guy was looking through old tapes in the 'attic' and bingo he found the tapes he had recorded some thirty years earlier.
And it is such a good recording, very clear, the odd scrape of chair from the audience, with first rate playing. If you have folk hankerings, then this will be a worthy addition to your collection. Its good but in my Live recordings hall of fame its a shame but ......
6.8/10

1 comment:

  1. Carthy is the one English acoustic guitarist I've never really got into. I love albums by John Renbourne and Bert Jansch but Carthy is just too hard on my ear. Perhaps he's just too English, sings too much, or I've just not given him enough of a chance.

    ReplyDelete