Monday 7 September 2009

Live Rust


Just listened to Neil Young and Crazy Horse's 1978 recording 'Live Rust'. Having read a number of recommendations putting this as the best live recorded record, I was intrigued enough to to add it to my collection.
Well, somewhat disappointed, its not bad and probably shows up the age of its recording being not particularly clear or sharp. Yes its grunge, and yes the sound does merge into one noise, harmonies are good and typical Neil Young. outstanding tracks: 'After the Goldrush' and of course 'Like a Hurricane' and is that a neo King Crimson Melotrone playing in the background...sounds like it to me.
Not the greatest live rock recording for that still belongs to Van Morrison's 'Its Too Late to Stop Now' that came out four years earlier. Still a worthy addition to my collection
7.5/10

1 comment:

  1. The concert was on Sky Arts a couple of months back. Strange and aged, especially the midgets doing the set changes.

    I'm a big Young fan and I prefer 'Weld'. Sound quality is better and it's even more grunge than Rust. Some of the chords can make your ears bleed.

    ReplyDelete