Monday 14 September 2009

The Summer of '74


Looking back on that Knebworth gig, it also reminded me that prior to about 4 weeks before my record collection consisted of 95% Uk based bands, and then I cant think apart from maybe Tonto's Expanding Head Band, what American ones there were. I had come home from college and started work at a local sawmill trying to earn some money to pay off the overdraft. I lasted there only a week to move onto a more lucrative labouring job closer to home. But during that week I made friends with a Pete Campbell, whose dad ran the mill. He was very Scottish and maybe a year older and had been at Sterling Uni. Their house in the depths of Ashridge was down a private drive and I can never forget the Campbell tartan carpets that were everywhere. Anyway he had a different taste in rock music and although friendly with Supertramp I seem to recall, followed American bands. SoI was introduced to Steely Dan, Eagles and Little Feat as well as others, and as I had a car, off to Knebworth we went.
So I have to thank him for the way my tastes developed from there.
Summer holidays finished and I went back to Oxford, meeting up with him for new year in Edinburgh and new years day in a snow swept Aviemore. An epic drive back when we were the last cars to be allowed to go over the Drumochter Pass, and this in an automatic Hillman Hunter. After that we totally lost touch. Good times though.
Car: Morris Minor (without starter motor) I did not get laid.

No comments:

Post a Comment